Friday, November 5

Those Morning People…

I am not one of those people who exercise in the morning.  I know there are a lot of people out there who love getting up at a ridiculous hour of the morning and beginning their day with a good sweat.  Well, I was one of those people this morning.  Do.  Not.  Like.
I feel my first foray into morning workout land did not go well for one good reason.  My nutritionist once told me, “You don’t need to eat before a workout, but it’s up to you if you feel it helps or hinders your body when you do work out.”  I had always thought this was a broad, sweeping statement that applied to all situations.  Sometimes I eat before I workout; sometimes I don’t.
Apparently, this statement does not apply to 6am workouts.  When you haven’t eaten for over eight hours, you need to eat before a workout.  It was so weird literally not having the energy this morning to move!  I was on my normal machine, doing my normal routine.  But I could not force my legs to move!  My brain was all, “Let’s go!”  And my legs were all, “We’re trying!”
Then I got home and I felt all gross and ravenous.  It’s hours later and I still feel like I haven’t recovered.  Bleh.
Ok, kids.  What’s the moral of this story?  Morning workouts are very different from evening workouts.  Are you a morning person?  I’d love to know what your routine is—how you get the most out of it!  What do you eat?  What kind of workout do you do: cardio, strength?  How long do you work out?  This is new territory for me, but I think I need to keep at it.  There are some days when an evening workout just isn’t happening, and I hate skipping the gym altogether.

3 comments:

Alex @ IEatAsphalt said...

I really wish I could get myself to workout in the morning. I have to give myself ample time to wake up and digest my breakfast. I've always been happier hitting the gym at the end of my day, it just tends to make for later nights.

Raegun said...

I am a morning person, but not when it comes to exercise. In order to beat the crazy city traffic I recently shifted my in-office hours to 7am-3pm. This means my day starts about 5am. I just can't bring myself to get up any earlier, so exercise happens in the evening for me!!

Mum said...

Eat a little breakfast first. I have to eat when I get up. I could not even think of any movement before I have some breakfast.



I'm out for answers to the big questions in my life!






Live it out everyday