Wednesday, July 21

Back in the Saddle!

I recently had a bit of minor surgery (thus my short vacation from the blog) which prevented me from working out for four and a half weeks. A month of no exercise! Not even any walking! I have to say, going into surgery I was really worried that I would slid back into my old habits. I was afraid that all the exercise and eating right were just a temporary change in my life, that maybe I had fooled myself into thinking it was permanent change.

But, despite my fears, I planned to succeed! Before surgery, I met with my dietician to discuss the kind of foods I would need (apparently protein is very important when healing from surgery) and the kind of calorie range I should aim for while recovering. I went grocery shopping the day before my surgery and made sure I had plenty of fruits, veggies and protein options around the house.

Now, I’ll be truthful with you—much of my planning went out the window. I’m pretty sure I had pizza for dinner every night during my second week of recovery. I discovered that without my entire routine, many of my habits fell to the wayside. I found it weird that I was more motivated to go to the gym if I was eating right and motivated to eat right if I went to the gym (as well as more motivated to maintain the blog).

But around week three or four, I started having dreams that I was going for a run. I was miserable during my evenings just missing the gym. I began to feel more confident that the changes I’ve made in my life were going to be life-long!

I’m back to the gym full swing now! I have a couple pounds to get off (consequences from a few of my choices during recovery), but I’m not worried about them! I’ve done this before, and I can do it again. There’s nothing I can’t do.

Well, except for 10 manly push-ups in a row. But I’m working on that.

1 comments:

MamaMartincic said...

Hey Becky! Happy recovery, I didn't even know that you went into surgery. Way to go getting back in the swing of things working out! Now you can just look back and remember it as a nice break. Let me know if you ever want to go on a walk around the neighborhood, I'd love to catch up!



I'm out for answers to the big questions in my life!






Live it out everyday