Wednesday, July 21

Back in the Saddle!

I recently had a bit of minor surgery (thus my short vacation from the blog) which prevented me from working out for four and a half weeks. A month of no exercise! Not even any walking! I have to say, going into surgery I was really worried that I would slid back into my old habits. I was afraid that all the exercise and eating right were just a temporary change in my life, that maybe I had fooled myself into thinking it was permanent change.

But, despite my fears, I planned to succeed! Before surgery, I met with my dietician to discuss the kind of foods I would need (apparently protein is very important when healing from surgery) and the kind of calorie range I should aim for while recovering. I went grocery shopping the day before my surgery and made sure I had plenty of fruits, veggies and protein options around the house.

Now, I’ll be truthful with you—much of my planning went out the window. I’m pretty sure I had pizza for dinner every night during my second week of recovery. I discovered that without my entire routine, many of my habits fell to the wayside. I found it weird that I was more motivated to go to the gym if I was eating right and motivated to eat right if I went to the gym (as well as more motivated to maintain the blog).

But around week three or four, I started having dreams that I was going for a run. I was miserable during my evenings just missing the gym. I began to feel more confident that the changes I’ve made in my life were going to be life-long!

I’m back to the gym full swing now! I have a couple pounds to get off (consequences from a few of my choices during recovery), but I’m not worried about them! I’ve done this before, and I can do it again. There’s nothing I can’t do.

Well, except for 10 manly push-ups in a row. But I’m working on that.

1 comments:

Miss Cris said...

Hey Becky! Happy recovery, I didn't even know that you went into surgery. Way to go getting back in the swing of things working out! Now you can just look back and remember it as a nice break. Let me know if you ever want to go on a walk around the neighborhood, I'd love to catch up!


I'm out for answers to the big questions in my life!
There was an error in this gadget
Live it out everyday